It is Friday the 13th and I have finally been able to finish a full week’s lesson plan. Yay!
We have had so many SNOW days!!. I think we are at 11 or 12 at this point. And we don’t even live in a snow belt state!
Peek at My Week
This week’s theme was Dinosaurs. My little paleontologists were busy on Monday with our K-W-L chart (see below).
I think we all agreed that there are a lot of things we do not know about dinosaurs.
Tuesday and Thursday, we indulged in some Dinosaur fun in our Learning Centers…
I created this center based on the boy sitting in a dinosaur footprint (inset). The kids were amazed to see how big the footprint was.
This is our recording sheet. You can download and print it for FREE by clicking on the picture below.
I found the easiest way for them to count was to fill the “footprint” up first and then count as they remove each object one by one. I had one “un-filler” (their word, not mine) and one “counter” who changed with each measuring tool so everyone had a turn.
Here I expanded on an idea I found from Reagan at Tunstall’s Teaching Tidbits. I gathered paper raffia, pompoms, buttons and aquarium rock and placed them in water bottles (labels removed). Inside each bottle I hid 5 sight words (I kept them simple because I didn’t know how hard it would be to find all of them). They had to find the words in 3 out of the four bottles.
The kids had no trouble finding at least one whole bottle of words. Most found all three. There was a lot of shaking and rolling to find them, but as you can see in the picture, the kids were engrossed.
Because of all the snow days, I have not been able to teach a solid unit on Money. So I’ve been sneaking in lessons here and there to cover everything. Here we are counting the coins on the cards to find their value.
Some could do it by themselves but the majority needed help from my assistant. That’s okay…we’ll continue to practice money counting and they’ll get it eventually.
Rhyme Time! The goal of this activity was to match the rhyming words posted around the room with the ones on their worksheet.
Finally, our craft for this week involved using our “Sparkle” words. We are trying to use better descriptive words for our projects. Here’s my sample:
The baby dinosaur graphic is courtesy of Pink Cat Studio. I tried using toothbrush flecking but that was a total mess. So I had them do pointillism by stamping dots with the bottom of a paintbrush.